Had a great time watching the old guys hit the ball in Omaha last week. I am in pretty good shape but I was hurting some just walking the very hilly Omaha Country Club layout. I loved the course, old fashioned, not too long, but it took some real thinking to play this course.
For those that didn’t hear Kenny Perry shot a 63 giving him a five stoke win for his second senior major title this year.
Perry, who two weeks ago won the Senior Players Championship, was 10 shots behind Michael Allen after 36 but a third round 64 and a seven-under round to end it gave him, the walk in the park victory, at Omaha Country Club.
Perry described the course as,” the hilliest course I have ever seen.” And after the win saidy d it gave hime the walk in the park victoryking to play this course.
maha Country Club layout. I loved the course, old fa, "It all came together today."
I thoroughly enjoyed the course, the tremendous crowds and watching some outstanding golf. I think it was a great test, both of golf and fitness.
-A few random observations-
1. Tom Watson walks very fast, even up and down these hills.
2. Corey Pavin hits it farther than I thought he would
3. Jay Hass looked like he stepped from a golf clothing add, all the time, looked cool and very well dressed
4. Only saw one player hitting a colored golf ball (yellow)
5. Lots of smaller bags with the tough walking conditions, a lot of stand-bags, like all of us carry, or used to carry
6. The crowds were knowledgeable and very loud or very quiet when needed
7. These guys are still pretty long
8. Mark Calcavecchia got some pretty good cheers from the Nebraska crowd (he lived in Nebraska until his early teens)
9. Fred Couples swing is even sweeter in person than on the big screen
10. They need to bring this Open back here in three or four years, maybe two, it’s a great venue, the natural hills make it a tough walk but great for spectating.